Posted Mon, October 12th, 2020 7:08 am by James Romoser
The Senate Judiciary Committee begins its hearings this week on the nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court. Monday’s hearing will start at 9 a.m. and will be dedicated to 10-minute opening statements from members of the committee, some of whom are expected to attend the hearing virtually. At the end of the day, Barrett is expected to deliver a brief opening statement of her own. SCOTUSblog will be live-tweeting the Barrett hearings on Twitter at @SCOTUSblog.
Meanwhile, across the street from the Capitol, the Supreme Court is closed Monday for Columbus Day, but the justices will resume their second week of oral arguments on Tuesday with arguments in United States v. Briggs and City of Chicago v. Fulton.
Other Supreme Court-related news and commentary from around the web:
- Rooted in Faith, Amy Coney Barrett Represents a New Conservatism (Elizabeth Dias, Rebecca Ruiz & Sharon LaFraniere, The New York Times)
- Barrett Supreme Court hearing expected to focus on health care, with the pandemic looming over the proceeding (Seung Min Kim, The Washington Post)
- Many Firsts At Confirmation Hearings For Judge Amy Coney Barrett (Nina Totenberg, NPR)
- Amid pandemic and presidential race, Supreme Court confirmation hearing will be unprecedented (Richard Wolf, USA Today)
- What Amy Coney Barrett could mean for Obamacare; Why Republicans and Democrats are asking about Amy Coney Barrett’s faith (Joan Biskupic, CNN)
- Reporters Committee examines Judge Amy Coney Barrett’s record on press rights issues (Grayson Clary, Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press)
- Barrett Poses Risk to Rights, Public Health (Kenneth Jost, Jost on Justice)
- The Supreme Court and the Election Returns (David Rivkin & Lee Casey, The Wall Street Journal)
- Court Packing Can Be an Instrument of Justice (Jamelle Bouie, The New York Times)
- Justice Department Pushes Supreme Court to Imperil Families (Manuel Vargas, Crimmigration)
We rely on our readers to send us links for our round-up. If you have or know of a recent (published in the last two or three days) article, post, podcast or op-ed relating to the Supreme Court that you’d like us to consider for inclusion, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Recommended Citation: James Romoser, Monday round-up, SCOTUSblog (Oct. 12, 2020, 7:08 AM), https://www.scotusblog.com/2020/10/monday-round-up-504/